To carry on improving my knowledge and skills in Electrical and Electronic engineering, while helping my employers to maximise their business efficiency and profits.
SUMMARY OF ACHIEVEMENTS
- Responsible for the design, development and commissioning of over 100 broadcast antennas and channel combining systems, with special regard to radiation patterns and power handling. These included one of the highest gain television broadcast antennas ever built (26dBi 80MW ERP).
- Design and manufacturing of Aircraft Obstruction Lighting Systems. Including everything from fail-safe control systems, to high power neon lamps.
- Responsible for the purchasing, maintenance and movements of more than £250,000 of Radio Frequency test equipment. Also designed and built passive intermodulation test rigs capable of measuring down to -160 dBc.
- Supervision of multicultural teams during the installation, commissioning and maintenance of equipment in the United Arab Emirates, South Korea, Brunei and all over the British Isles.
- Reduction of TV and Satellite installation errors by 80% within one month, by ensuring that all site engineers where properly trained and supplied with the correct tools.
- Electrical and Mechanical product design and simulation using 3D CAD/CAE software:
- CST Design Studio
- Numerical Electromagnetic Code
- Ansoft Designer & HFSS
- Project Management of product development, procurement, supply and installation
- Technical Authoring and product handbook production
- Prototype and Production electromechanical assembly and fitting
- Home Television and Satellite reception system design and installation
- Trained and experienced in high access working on structures up to 1000 feet tall
- Writing of risk assessments and method statements
- Development of systems and procedures for the design, production and commissioning of electrical systems
- Object oriented software design and development using:
- Visual Basic and VBA
- Matlab and Scilab
- Python and PyQT
- Able to pass on knowledge and experience both in a formal training environment and through practical advice
- Photography – Published
- Music – From Miles Davis to Philip Glass and everything in-between
- Local Arts – Drama, Street Art, etc.
2013 – 2014 Freelance Broadcast Antenna Engineer
Upgrading, fault finding and repairing antennas and combining systems in Brunei and Malta.
2009 – 20013 Self Employed IT Technician
Computer repairs, data recovery, upgrades and software configuration. Also training.
2007 – 2009 Freelance Electrical Design and Technical Authoring
Design and manufacture of Antenna Monitoring Systems, and writing technical manuals
2006 – 2007 Clarkson Evans TV and Satellite Installation Troubleshooter
On-site troubleshooting and installation procedure improvement
2003 – 2006 Various Employers Contract Electrical Prototyping
Building test equipment for aircraft avionics
1996 – 2003 Alan Dick & Company Promoted to: Broadcast Antenna Engineer
Design, development and commissioning of Broadcast Antenna Systems worldwide
1993 – 1996 Alan Dick & Company Test and Development Technician
Working with Coaxial, Waveguide, Coaxial and Stripline components
1985 – 1993 S & M Processing Factory maintenance engineer
Installing, servicing and maintaining photographic processing machines and other equipment
1978 – 1985 EEB Apprentice and Qualified Electrician
Training school and day release technical college. Industrial and domestic electrical installation.
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- CSCS Card (Operative)
- Full Drivers Licence with no endorsements (ever)
- Andrews Coaxial Connector Course
- Visual Basic for Applications Programming course
- Aztec Project Management Course
- Total Access Climbing Certificate
- Non-Ionising Radiation Safety Course
- Alan Dick & Company Antenna Engineers Course
- HNC Engineering Mathematics, parts 1 & 2 (Merits)
- BTEC Electrical Engineering (Distinctions)